The audio edition of the new hymnbook, which will be a key element for merging the new music of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, needs Latter-day Saint vocalists of all ages. The deadline for applications is September 17, 2023.
This paid project will produce two final resources for members of the Church:
- Melody only recordings. Solo voices will help members of the Church learn the melodies of the hymns through accurate and appealing recordings.
- Four-part recordings. Vocal quartets will provide singalong recordings for families and small Church units, as well as support learning the written harmony lines.
Applicants must be members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The project requires soloists who can sing accurately and expressively, and who sing with a fairly moderate vocal style, and choral singers who can blend with other singers and demonstrate an individual part with good vocal tone. Adults, teenagers and children may apply. Voices from a range of cultural backgrounds, including racial and accent diversity are encouraged to apply. Singers will need to incorporate direction quickly and efficiently and have strong vocal technique and musical expression. Studio recording experience is not required but is a plus.
The scope of the entire project will span multiple years. Singers will be contracted on a period basis. Recording dates will span up to several months, and each singer’s workload will be broken up over that period. Recording sessions will be scheduled during regular business hours. Further details will be arranged during contracting.
Recordings will take place at the Church Office Building in Salt Lake City. Applicants must be available to work as locals.
Selected singers will be paid according to local industry standards. Terms will be arranged during contracting.
How to Apply
To apply as a solo singer, upload two audio recordings of yourself singing a verse of the melody line of two hymns. Select songs with contrasting tempos, styles, moods, etc. To apply as a choral singer, upload two audio recordings of yourself singing your vocal part of two contrasting hymns. Children and teenagers may opt for two contrasting Primary songs.
Audition Recording Instructions
- Please record with a piano or a piano track, if possible.
- Find a quiet room to record in, turn off fans, air conditioning, or other appliances that make room noise, and set your recording device on a stable surface, mic stand or tripod.
- Record yourself singing two contrasting hymns. Please record them on separate files.
- When you are finished recording, save the file as an MP4 or MP3.
- Past recordings from performances, album tracks, etc., are okay to use.
- If you are applying for both solo and choral roles, you will need to submit two recordings for each role (four recordings total).
- Video recordings are acceptable but not required. Please prioritize recording the best audio sound possible.
- Demonstrate good vocal technique and vocal range.
- “Middle of the road” musical interpretations are encouraged.
- Demonstrate musical phrasing and dynamic range.
- Sing in time and with appropriate tempos.